Saturday, May 7, 2011

Averaging 5.0 hours/night.

I have been tracking my hours using "Sleep Tracker". The interface is easy and quick. The gap in the data is from my 5 night white-water canoe trip, and the following 2 days where I had switched to a (semi) monophasic pattern. Overall, since April 5th, I have averaged 5.0 hours a night. 

A little inconsistant, but getting there.

You might notice that on the 22nd of April, I shifted my morning nap from 5:30 to 4:30. That is because, with the lengthening day light it was starting to get too bright, and had concerns about my circadian rhythm being reset by the morning sun. 

I also notice from looking at this chart, that there is a clear penalty for inconsistency. For example on May 7th, I did not get home from a party until 1:00am. I functioned fine throughout the day, but paid for it last evening, sleeping 2 1/2 hours even though I went to bed at my usual time. On April 24th, I did not get my afternoon nap until 5:30pm, and slept through the night on the 25th. A short afternoon nap on April 19th is followed by a long evening nap.

I would likely have stronger gains (shorter overall sleep times) if I stayed more consistant. On the other hand, the inconsistencies arise from a desire to not let my schedule completely dictate my social life. In general, I am apparently willing to pay the average 10 days/year (.5 hrs/day) penalty to have an active social life. 

It will be interesting to see whether I can make my sleep schedule more consistant in the future through better planning, or whether these inconsistencies are going to naturally arise from my priorities of interfacing with the real world.

1 comment:

  1. Michael,

    I hear what you are saying. My schedule is a "short" sleep regimen, not an "ultra-short" regimen. On the other hand, it is equivalent to the everyman, (4.5 hr goal vs 4.0 hr goal) which is a common enough "short" regimen, and one which Puredoxyx recommends over triphasic.

    While 5hrs seems like a lot, from looking at raw data that I can find, this is less than people who are trying to do the Uberman and Everyman ACTUALLY sleep. If you have at least 6 weeks of raw data of people on the Uberman, and they are averaging under 3 hrs, I would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete