Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day 13 - Delicious luxury of sleeping in.

On Saturday, I competed in the Passy Canoe race. I pushed hard and it was especially grueling. We pulled our canoe out of the water at 12:30, and by the time the award ceremony was over, and the canoe was loaded, it was 2:30 - well past my afternoon nap. Because I had errands to run, I went ahead and napped in the car, which I have successfully done before. I slept about 40 minutes, and woke reasonably refreshed, but not feeling mentally sharp. I had friends over that evening, and got to bed at 11:00. I did not set my alarm, with the expectation that I would sleep in somewhat. I woke at 2:30, did a few chores and went back to bed. When I woke, I was feeling quite sore from the previous days race. My wife was already up, and I had no idea what the time was. I felt as though I had slept in until 1 in the afternoon, which used to be something that I would do a couple times a month. Instead it was my usual wake-up time of 7:00am.

I think that it is interesting that I got that same luxurious feeling of sleeping in till noon (or later), with only a "normal" night's sleep. While there were some things that I wanted to get done during my night, I am glad that I went ahead and slept. I took my usual afternoon nap that day of 1 1/2 hours, and my evening nap was also 1 1/2 hours, and I feel alert and refreshed. I seem to be (back?) on my tri-phasic sleep schedule.

Because I missed my night wake cycle yesterday the weekend seemed to happen VERY fast. I have become completely addicted to having the night all to myself. It is really nice "down" time. It is quiet and peaceful. I have to plan on what I can get done during daylight hours. Yardwork, errands, social time, and business meeting and calls all have to happen during the day. This leaves the night for chores, cooking, writing, relaxing, and design work. It makes the 3 cycle pace of my day interesting. It  makes the night feel like a weekend - even on the actual weekends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment