Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Some signs of sleep debt.

The last day and a half, I have not been waking up before my alarm. I have had reluctance to get out of bed and I have been feeling tired before my nap times. I think that I have some sleep debt. I have been taking my Epworth Sleepiness Scale test since the experimented started. Monophasic sleep was a "3" and most of the experiment thus far my ESS score has been a "1". However, in the last couple days, it has gone up to a "6". The average US male score is "4 1/2." So, I am not going to use an alarm for my evening "nap" with the expectation of sleeping most the night. I will continue taking my afternoon nap. I am curious to see whether the sleep debt will be easily repaid, and I can continue on what has become my normal schedule, or whether this will be the de facto end of the experiment. I think that it is a little odd that the first signs of sleep debt took more than two weeks to show up. I wonder if it has to do with messing with my schedule on Saturday, and then again on Monday or whether it is chronic to the schedule itself. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment