Thursday, December 10, 2009

Dinner party with friends

I am starting this blog to record what I eat as I journey towards a CRON diet/lifestyle. I have been interested in CRON (calorie restricted/ optimal nutrition) for about a year and have slowly been working towards a calorie restricted diet. I have downloaded the diet tool CRONometer, and found it very enlightening. A diet that I thought was pretty good was actually missing some key nutrients. As I have been going on this journey I have moved from being vegetarian (with fish about 3x a year) to a diet that I would not call vegetarian anymore. The meat that I eat is mostly fish/seafood, but also now, there is sometimes duck or lamb or other free-range, organic, local meat.

So my journey is heavily influenced by the fact that I have been vegetarian for about 24 years. The other aspect that influences my diet is foraging and thinking about the diet of pre-agriculture man. I think that we evolved to eat the way pre-agricultural man ate, and I think that probably still the healthiest way to eat.

I have found that, compared to my baseline last year, I eat a LOT more protein, a lot more fat, less carbs, and especially less sugar. I have not had any issues with being hungry, and in fact, I often do not finish eating the food that I had planned too, which has lately been leaving me a bit short of my daily nutrition goals, although not short on average. It has been my experience so far that if I am getting all my nutrition from food sources I feel sated.

I started this journey last January. I am 6'-0" male and I weighed 202. In college I weighed about 183, which is what I think of as my set point. I currently weigh 172 (7 day moving average). I am currently averaging about 1200 calories a day. I building my own house, so I spend my day doing carpentry in sub-freezing weather. (Next week I hope to wrap up the jobs outside for the season and be able to work inside where it is warm!) I am currently averaging 99% of all my vitamins and minerals from food sources (over a 7 day average). I tend to be a little short in Vitamin E, and Potassium. If anyone knows of a good food source of these nutrients that I have overlooked, please let me know. My goal for the end of the year was 175 lbs, and I had an eventual goal of 168 lbs.

Below is my record of the day. I through I dinner party tonight, so I am not perfectly on target. I think that you have to have flexibility, or there is no way you can make it a lifestyle. :

1 comment: