Saturday, December 19, 2009

Protein

So how much protein does a person need? There are a number of different numbers floating around out there. The most common seems to be .7g to 1g per pound of body weight. Other people say that it is per lean pound of body weight. However, I am unable to track down the study that cites this number. What I did find was the "WHO Technical Report Series #935" published by the World Health Organization in 2007. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/trs/WHO_TRS_935_eng.pdf
In Table 47, page 241 they sum up their findings, recommending .83g of protein per kg of lean body weight. For me, that would make my target protein level at 55g of protein per day. Based on that information I have changed my target protein level.

I have also reached my target weight, and plan to upping my calorie intake to average 1500 cal/day or higher to maintain my current weight of 168. I am planning on holding this weight for a month or so and then deciding wether to drop any further or hold here for a while.

I seem to have shaken that pesky cold, and I feel great.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment